Before proceeding, register your serial number at: https://www.ableton.com/en/account/add_license/
To get started with Live, it is recommended to download and install the latest available Live 9 update.
Log in to your User Account, then select the Live version and the operating system from the drop down menus.
Installing for Mac:
- When the download of the Live 9 dmg is complete, double-click on that file and a mounted disk named 'Ableton Live 9' will appear on your desktop and open automatically.
- As shown, drag the application Ableton Live 9 in the Applications folder at the root of your Mac OS X drive. After this, you can unmount the dmg file by pressing the eject button in the Finder sidebar.
- Once the disk image has been unmounted you can drag the dmg file to the trash.
- To launch Live 9, open the Applications folder and click twice on the Ableton Live 9 application. You can also drag the application icon to your dock in order to add a shortcut for Live 9.
Installing for Windows:
- Please unpack the downloaded zip file by right-clicking on it.
- Choose "Extract All..." from the drop down menu and launch the Setup.msi file by double clicking it once the file has been unpacked. The program will guide you through the steps necessary to install Live 9 on your Windows machine.
- Once the installation has completed, click on the Windows Start menu where you'll find the Live 9 shortcut.
- When starting Live for the first time, follow the instructions on the authorization dialog in order to authorize Live.
- If you'd prefer to authorize offline or would like additional information, step-by-step instructions are available.
Installing additional sounds
- Several Live Packs are available for download from the Your Packs section on the Ableton website.
- Once Live is installed, you can install these Live Packs, which will add additional sounds, presets and other content in a dedicated directory on your hard drive.
- Note: Some Live Packs require add-ons or devices which are not included in all versions of Live.