Before proceeding, register your serial number at: https://www.ableton.com/en/account/add_license/
To get started with Live, it is recommended to download and install the latest available Live 9 update.
Log in to your User Account, then select the Live version and the operating system from the drop-down menus.
Installing for Mac:
- When the download of the Live 9 dmg is complete, double-click on that file and a mounted disk named 'Ableton Live 9' will appear on your desktop and open automatically.
- As shown, drag the application Ableton Live 9 in the Applications folder at the root of your Mac OS X drive. After this, you can unmount the dmg file by pressing the eject button in the Finder sidebar.
- Once the disk image has been unmounted you can drag the dmg file to the trash.
- To launch Live 9, open the Applications folder and click twice on the Ableton Live 9 application. You can also drag the application icon to your dock in order to add a shortcut for Live 9.
Installing for Windows:
- Please unpack the downloaded zip file by right-clicking on it.
- Choose "Extract All..." from the drop-down menu and launch the Setup.msi file by double-clicking it once the file has been unpacked. The program will guide you through the steps necessary to install Live 9 on your Windows machine.
- Once the installation has completed, click on the Windows Start menu where you'll find the Live 9 shortcut.
- When starting Live for the first time, follow the instructions on the authorization dialog in order to authorize Live.
- If you'd prefer to authorize offline or would like additional information, step-by-step instructions are available.
Installing additional sounds
- Several Live Packs are available for download from the Your Packs section on the Ableton website.
- Once Live is installed, you can install these Live Packs, which will add additional sounds, presets and other content in a dedicated directory on your hard drive.
- Note: Some Live Packs require add-ons or devices which are not included in all versions of Live.