With Reverb Payments, the taxes collected and remitted by Reverb are automatically deducted from your earnings, so there is nothing you need to do on your end and you are not actually charged for the taxes. Sales tax is collected and then automatically remitted by Reverb.
The precedent set by the South Dakota v. Wayfair, Inc. Supreme Court decision changed how taxes work on remote sales (like those made through Reverb and any other e-commerce site). As a result, it may cause some initial confusion when you begin selling.
When using Reverb Payments
If you are set up with Reverb Payments, you are not being charged for these taxes as a seller.
- Depending on your buyer's shipping destination (or your location in a local pickup transaction), the buyer is responsible for paying the automatically calculated tax amount during checkout.
- These taxes are then automatically remitted by Reverb, so they will never be added to your statement nor will you be charged any selling fees on the taxed amount.
Unable to use Reverb Payments?
In the event your shop is in a location not supported by Reverb Payments, or if you are a PayPal seller, you may see a tax amount on your Reverb selling statement. Here’s why:
- In standalone PayPal transactions, the buyer is still responsible for paying the automatically calculated tax amount during checkout.
- These taxes are paid out to the seller in the initial payout for the order.
- The tax amount is then added to your Reverb statement, which is collected on the 1st of the month (along with any other Reverb selling, Bump, shipping label fees, etc). You will not be charged any selling fees on the taxed amount.
For both Reverb Payments and PayPal transactions the payment processing fee is calculated on the full order total (including the tax amount), as this payment processing service is needed to complete the entire online transaction.
Are shipping rates taxable?
To make things as simple as possible, we’ve partnered with Avalara, who handles our tax calculations on every order. These tax rates are automatically calculated during checkout for our buyers in compliance with state laws.