Report requests for offsite payment
Here are some helpful things to know when it comes to being contacted about payment or transactions on Reverb:
- You won't receive a paper or PDF invoice from a seller or from Reverb asking you for payment.
- If a seller uses any of these terms, report them: Western Union, MoneyGram, cashier's check, money order, Liberty Reserve, PayPal, Zelle, Venmo, wire transfer.
- Other users should only contact you via the messaging feature offered on the site. Buyers phone numbers are shared with sellers for shipping purposes, but it is a violation of our policies for sellers to use this information for any other reason.
If a Reverb shop or user asks you to pay off site, through another company, or if you have concerns about requests from another user, report it to us.
To report an email
If you receive an email from anyone (including an email@example.com or any other firstname.lastname@example.org email address) asking you to pay or accept payment offsite, let us know immediately by contacting our support team.
Types of scams
Never share your contact information and never transfer funds outside the Reverb system. Always carefully examine emails claiming to be from Reverb.
Examples of common scams include:
- Phishing Scam: Someone sends an email or link that looks like it's from Reverb or another trusted site. These messages are designed to trick you into providing confidential information such as passwords or other email addresses. Phishing messages may contain malware, which is malicious software that gains access to your computer to gather your personal information, including passwords.
- Friends & Family Scam: Someone offers to accept payment via PayPal friends and family, or another similar service in exchange for a reduced price on the item for sale, but fails to fulfill the sale or sends a different item.
- Overpayment Scam: Someone offers to pay a shop more than the price of the item, and then asks the seller to give them cash to cover the difference.
What do I do if I think I’ve submitted payment outside of Reverb?
If you paid for your order outside of Reverb (ex: a PayPal payment, bank wire or bank transfer), you may have paid for a fraudulent order. If you’re not sure, you can check if your item was purchased through Reverb. If the purchase doesn’t show up in your purchase history, your transaction was not completed on Reverb.
To get help, let us know immediately by contacting our support team.